- Berenschot (English)
- Additive manufacturing
Additive manufacturing, or 3D-printing, enables products to be constructed layer by layer directly from a digital file. This enables the designing and manufacturing of new and better products, which would be unfeasible using traditional techniques.
At the same time additive manufacturing enables companies to manufacture products more efficiently and more sustainably. Products or components can be produced at any desired moment (on demand) so that the stock on hand can be minimal. Moreover, products can be manufactured close to the location of use (on location), which reduces the number of transport kilometres and in turn reduces CO2 emissions and fuel consumption. Additionally, every design is easy to modify to the wishes of the individual customer. Or in short: personalised products at reasonable prices.
Are you interested in finding out whether additive manufacturing offers you opportunities for new business development? If so, then a preliminary study into the possibilities for your organisation is a useful first step. A business case shows clearly whether additive manufacturing would be advantageous in your case, and, if so, what business model would be most effective for implementing this activity.
Frequently asked questions from customers
- Determining strategy What markets and customer groups can be served more quickly or more effectively by means of additive manufacturing? What competitive advantages can I achieve using additive manufacturing?
- Marketing and strategic market research How attractive is additive manufacturing for my current customers? How can I achieve customer lock-in with additive manufacturing?
- Product range analysis Which of my products qualify for additive manufacturing? What are the operational and economic implications of a full or partial transition to additive manufacturing for me?
- Business development What is the most cost-effective model for additive manufacturing activities for us? How do I deal with contracting, IP and guarantees with additive manufacturing?
- Alliance forming and cooperation What are the best service providers for additive manufacturing? Which manufacturers are best suited for us?
- Roadmapping What have been the latest developments in the area of additive manufacturing? When is the technology suitable for our products?
''Additive manufacturing is nothing short of a revolution. It offers companies the ability to manufacture entirely new products, completely geared towards the wishes of the individual consumer. Using this technology, Siemens is able to bypass assembly steps in the manufacturing of dryer components. FlyingCam has used the technology to expand the functionality and versatility of its helicopters. And the technology enables BMW to once again deliver parts for vintage BMWs. A company needs to make choices to get the most out of additive manufacturing. Questions such as, on which customers will I focus and which of my products qualify for this new technology? What business model fits best with this new technology and how do I stay ahead of the competition? Once those questions are answered a company can achieve a real breakthrough using additive manufacturing!"